Smooth Transitions effectively bridges the gap between more traditional approaches to education and the modern blended learning classroom. The current version of the product has been designed to function well in a multi user environment even in situations where bandwidth and internet connectivity are still in need of improvement. The videos, listening activities and voice recorder allow teachers to give students the opportunity to practice much needed listening and speaking skills and to grow in confidence when actively using the language in realistic situations. The online course can be used in the classroom as a stand-alone resource or in conjunction with paper based resources and communicative activities ensuring that students cover all vocabulary, language structures and grammatical points required by the basic English curriculum. Alternatively Smooth Transitions can be used in the computer lab or as a homework component to reinforce in- class learning.
English for Students of English as a Foreign Language (Grade 1 to 6)
- This course teaches skills required for effective communication in basic English.
- This course covers the core Grade 1 to 6 English curriculum.
- Each online lesson takes about 30 minutes to complete, but can be extended to 1hour 30 minutes when used in conjunction with paper based resources and communicative activities in the blended learning classroom.
- Each lesson includes a study text in both English and the students’ native language.
- Clear and simple instructions and an intuitive user interface.
- Smooth Transitions is a fully online course that can be taken anytime, anywhere. Smooth Transitions can be used for home learning, in the blended learning classroom, or in the school computer labs.
- 180 interactive lessons covering 6 levels of English – Smooth Transitions is designed by professional English language teachers and is based on a successful English language curriculum.
- More than 900 Learning Activities – Smooth Transitions uses English videos, games, listening activities, speaking activities, puzzles and quizzes to educate and entertain.
- Fast, User Friendly Online Environment – Smooth Transitions accelerates the learning process with an easy to use intuitive user interface.
- Student watches the video and reads the accompanying text in both English and the student’s native language.
- Students roleplay the conversation they have watched in the video.
- Students listen to the conversation again and will in the gaps in the gap fill exercise or complete the online game.
- Student records the conversation using the online voice recorder and optionally send the conversation to the teacher.
- These steps can be supplemented in the blended learning classroom, using flashcards, comic strips and communicative games and activities.
Students of English as a foreign or second language from Grade 1 to Grade 6
One course level is equivalent to one year of school English study. There are six levels in total.
- A PC which can be connected to the Internet (ADSL or Broadband).
- Microsoft OS (Windows 2000/XP/Vista/7) with Internet Explorer version 7 or above or latest version of Google Chrome or Firefox, OS X with the latest version of Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.
- A resolution of 1024×768 or higher.