For university students who need English for their classes, are preparing to study abroad, or are taking international exams such as TOEFL or IELTS. Academic English offers 30 hours of engaging listening and reading lessons with vocabulary from the Academic Word List. It also includes 15 short videos which provide tips on university study skills and how to stay motivated.
The Academic Course is for undergraduate university students at B1 level (TOEIC® 550-785). It will benefit students who need to improve their English for their current courses, students who are preparing to study overseas or in English-medium university classes, and students who are trying to achieve better results in international standardized tests such as TOEFL or IELTS.Academic English is a 30-hour online self-study course, accessible on desktop and mobile devices, offering a wide range of interesting subject matter perfect for university students. It contains vocabulary from the Academic Word List to ensure learners focus on the highest-frequency and most widely useful academic language while training them to be more effective readers and listeners.The lesson topics and activities are benchmarked against the TOEFL exam so that learners become more proficient with Academic English while familiarizing themselves with the listening and reading sections of the TOEFL test. Activities range from vocabulary matching and fill-in-the-blank to in-depth listening and reading tasks followed by a lesson test.The course also features 15 short videos from experienced teachers and students who share motivational tips. Topics range from study skills to language skills, including issues related to studying abroad at English-speaking universities.
English for business and practical daily use
- 30 one-hour lessons: 15 listening and 15 reading.
- Detailed explanations for all questions in all activities.
- Immediate feedback on performance.
- High-frequency academic words chosen from the Academic Word List.
- 15 informative videos offering tips on how to stay motivated and study academic English.
- Seamless integration across devices: computers, mobile phones, and tablets.
- Choose a lesson and start studying.
- When you’ve finished any two lessons, and watched a video, choose another lesson.
- Review any lesson whenever you like and as many times as you like.
- Repeat until you’ve passed enough lessons to pass your course
- Print your course completion certificate.
Requirements to pass the course
Recommended: Pass all lessons (60% or more in each lesson test)
- Individuals with a TOEIC® score of 550-785, or CEFR level of B1 (intermediate), or equivalent
- Readers of academic papers
- Listeners of academic lectures
- Students with the goal of studying abroad
- Learners hoping to improve their TOEFL®/IELTS scores
Recommended: six months
Reading (15 lessons)
- Ideas in education Islands
- Taste and flavor
- The Colosseum
- The Dairen project
- The Great lakes
- The Sami
- The Oil industry
Listening (15 lessons)
- Ancient Egyptians
- A research survey
- A Van Gogh portrait
- Booking a college course
- Edward Jenner
- Island economy
- New university library
- Renewable energy
- Student Union clubs
- The Alcon Blue butterfly
- The London Underground map
- The Statue of Liberty
- Tropical storms
- University accommodations
Videos (15 lessons)
- Building your vocabulary
- Learning with others
- Making the most of your study time
- Making the most of your study time
- Preparing for lectures
- Preparing for tutorials
- Reading actively and effectively
- Tackling an assignment 1
- Tackling an assignment 2
- Tackling exams 1
- Tackling exams 2
- Time management
- Ways to remember information
- Working on your listening
- A PC which can be connected to the Internet (ADSL or Broadband).
- Microsoft OS (Windows 2000/XP/Vista/7) with Internet Explorer version 7 or above or latest version of Google Chrome or Firefox, OS X with the latest version of Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.
- A resolution of 1024×768 or higher.